Camera, Light, Projector and Sound Rental in Milwaukee & Chicago

            Renting cameras, audio, lighting & grip for Milwaukee, Chicago, and the surrounding area.

Archive: Aug 2013

  1. Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

    Comments Off on Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

    Rent-Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-5.6-III-USM-LensWhen you need the reach of a telephoto zoom lens on a budget, the Canon EF-mount 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM is a logical option.  Perfect for sports and wildlife during the day when shooting at f/5.6 is an option. It’s designed for use on full frame cameras, and you’ll get even more telephoto (120mm-480mm equivalent) on a Canon Rebel.

    This lens, like many of Canon’s budget zooms, has a 58mm front filter size.  It close-focuses to 1.5 meters.

    If you’re looking for a nicer telephoto, we strongly suggest the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS or Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS lenses.

    Rental Prices

    $24 for 1 day
    $48 for up to 3 days
    $72 for up to 7 days
    Call or email for availability.

    Suggested accessories:

    Canon DSLR
    58mm Filter Kit

  2. Camera Lens Rental in Milwaukee

    Comments Off on Camera Lens Rental in Milwaukee

    rent-lens-milwaukeeIf you’re looking to rent a lens for your camera in Milwaukee, you’re in the right place.  We offer an ever-growing collection of rental lenses you can pick up today from our downtown Milwaukee office.

    Our Most Popular Zooms

    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 20-35 f/2.8L Zoom Lens
    Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG IF zoom lens
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Zoom Lens
    Tokina EF 11-16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Zoom Lens
    See all zoom lenses

    Our Most Popular Primes

    Rokinon 85mm T/1.5 Cine Prime Lens
    Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EF Mount Wide-Angle Lens
    Zeiss ZE Planar T* 50mm F/1.4
    Canon 50mm Macro f/2.5 Prime Lens
    See all prime lenses

    More than half of our lenses are EF mount, but we carry adapters for Micro Four Thirds (MFT) and Sony E/NEX so you can mount them on mirrorless cameras, as well.  We also have specialty lenses, including tilt-shift and fisheye.  If you need a very hard-to-find lens, we can use our network of other rental companies to help you find exactly the lens you need.

    We can add a temporary focus gear to any lens you like, so you can use it with your follow focus.  We’re adding new lenses all the time… and we make our inventory decisions based on your requests!  Let us know what you’d like to see next!

  3. Cordless RGB LED light

    Comments Off on Cordless RGB LED light

    This 24″ LED light bar lets you dial in any color you want using 3-pin DMX, buttons on the back, or the included remote.  It can be run plugged in or run on its own built-in battery for up to six hours.  It’s low-profile and about two feet long.  Because it’s DC, it’s flicker-free and looks amazing on video.

    It’s equally at home in the DJ booth or as a background light on an interview set.  An easy wash of intense color has become our “secret weapon” against boring walls in interviews.  We have a mixture of the original RGB models and the RGBA models available.

    Rental Prices

    $24 for 1 day
    $48 for up to 3 days
    $72 for up to 7 days
    Call or email for availability.

    Suggested accessories:
    DMX controller
    fog machine

  4. Invoicing and Getting Paid – Getting Started in Film and Video Production

    Comments Off on Invoicing and Getting Paid – Getting Started in Film and Video Production

    Invoicing PaperworkIf you’ve finished your first gig in video production, chances are the producer has asked you to send an invoice. It can seem complicated at first, but it’s actually really simple.  Here’s what you’ll need to know to create a video production invoice, whether you’re working as a production assistant or anything else.

    Video production companies need invoices so they can keep track of production expenses.  Since you’re not a salaried or hourly employee, you’re considered a contractor. Your payment probably won’t be a payroll payment with payroll taxes and other expenses taken out. Instead, it will be a lump sum, similar to how you pay a plumber, cleaning service, or other business.  Your invoice is basically a receipt for their records, and a reminder that they need to pay you.

    Invoices are pretty easy with a program like QuickBooks, or you can make your own invoices for free using Google Drive whatever else you’re comfortable using.  Remember, just because you’re invoicing doesn’t mean you don’t have to pay taxes on your income.  Talk with your tax professional about your potential tax liability, especially when you’re just getting started!

    A good invoice should have all of the following information on it:

      • ◘ Your name, or if you’ve incorporated, your company name.
      • ◘ Your mailing address for checks, tax paperwork, and other correspondence.
      • ◘ An invoice number, for your records.  I usually number my invoices starting with the year (Invoice 2014-01, 2014-02, etc.) for simplicity later.
      • ◘ The name of the business or person that you’re invoicing.  Usually I put the company name, followed by ATTN: and the individual who handles payments and accounting.
      • ◘ A project number or purchase order number from your client.  If they don’t provide one, put a short description of the project here, so accounting knows where to put your charges
      • ◘ A due date.  The standard due date for most video production invoices is 30 days after the invoice has been sent. This is sometimes called “net 30”
      • ◘ The date the invoice was prepared.
      • ◘ A detailed listing of charges.  Usually I suggest using columns to list items  in a table like this
        Date Item Units Unit Cost Line Total
        8/1/2014 Production Assistant Day Rate 2 $200 $400

        Often, you’ll be billing a day rate, but sometimes you’ll need to bill hourly, or add line items for overtime, etc.

      • ◘ A subtotal line
      • ◘ Any additional lines needed, like tax, discounts, etc. In Wisconsin and most other states, you probably won’t need to charge sales tax on your labor.  If you do, you’ll need to get a certificate allowing you to do so.
      • ◘ A total line.  I suggest putting this in bold.

    If you want to be sure your payment is processed ASAP, it can help to include a completed W9 form.  Download it, print it, fill it out, scan it and you can send the same one with all your invoices.  You can use the same W9 whether you’re a production assistant, camera operator, videographer, or have any other job on set.

    Pay attention to what the producer asks for.  Your expenses may need to be invoiced separately, and you may need receipts.  These days, 99% of my invoices are electronic as a PDF, but sometimes, people want a hard copy mailed to them. If you don’t get your payment in 30 days, send them a reminder invoice and let them know you still haven’t received payment.  Always be nice!  Assume they forgot to send a payment, even if they’re avoiding your calls.

    Here’s a sample invoice in a few common formats: PDF Excel OpenDoc

    Once you’ve got more than a few invoices, it might make sense to use a bookkeeping program, so you can run reports, manage unpaid invoices, and keep track of everything.  Remember to keep your forwarding address information current, because many video production companies will send you tax documents in January, up to 13 months after you’ve completed working for them.

    Good luck and happy billing!

    Posted by Jon Kline

Can’t Find It?

If you haven't found what you're looking for, try the search box above, or call (414) 939-3653. We have way too many clamps, cables, and widgets to list everything. And we have new stuff coming all the time, too!